Thursday, August 23, 2012

Blog Post #1

A little about myself...



Hello, I'm Charlotte. This semester begins the fifth year I've attended this university, and--Lord willing!--I'll graduate May 2014. I'm originally from Washington County, Alabama. If you haven't heard of it, I'm not at all surprised (despite the fact that it was the first county in the state to be established! and it's right on top of Mobile County). My family of five moved to Spanish Fort, AL, in '07 due to my dad's job, and we love it there. The move also gave my younger brother and I the added bonus of living at home for the beginning of our respective college journeys. (Our little sister was the first to actually 'leave the nest'! She just began her freshman year at the University of Alabama.)

My intentions when I graduated high school were to go into the medical field; I chose USA because of the phenomenal medical program. Since then I've changed my major four times, and I'm now happily settled in the College of Education. I made the decision to major in Elementary Education (I want to teach Special Education) because I have a genuine love of children; and the chance to be a part of a child's life at such an impressionable stage is a powerful thing. As corny or cliché as it sounds, it's very true! I also like to consider myself 'creative,' and the field of education is the best way I could think of to use my creativity for something productive!

As I mentioned before, I have a family of five: my dad, Judd; my mom, Geena (that's a hard 'G'); my brother, Garrett (two years younger), is at USA for mechanical engineering; and my sister, Molly (four years younger), is at UA for dance. We're a tight-knit group that loves Seinfeld and playing games. Being a 'Beech' is a special thing!

What Randy Pausche had to say



I had never heard of Dr. Pausch until our assignment to watch his video on time management, but what he had to say on the subject was definitely useful. He made the point that Americans are great with managing money, but not so with time. Because 'time is money,' Dr. Pausch says we should begin our planning process by asking 'why.' One should determine the importance of things one needs to accomplish, and then make goals for accomplishing them. Start with small goals (things to do today), and develop long-term ones as well (things to do this week, this semester, this year, etc.). Create 'to do' lists with items broken down into easy-to-handle tasks, and do the 'ugliest' things first!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Charlotte, welcome to EDM310. I hope you have a good year. Your blog post was awesome, just one error on capitalization but it was fine. I also have a big family, one sister, two brothers. I also was the first to leave the nest and go off to college after I graduated from junior college then my brother. I also changed my major like twice but I will stick with Elementray Education.

    I love the video on Mr. Randy Pausche. I am a bad person when it comes to time management. I am a bad procastornator when it comes to a lot of work and getting things started. I'm trying to be more organized this semester and get my work done on time. So I have started many of "to do list". I hope we both stay organized and on time with our work because it is very important. Have a great semester.

    ReplyDelete